This summer we’re heading out to several public festivals and events around east London to tell people about the project and start collecting ideas and thoughts on what local people want to see in their Women’s Museum.
We could really use some helpers at these events, mostly because the folding table, chair, and a box of flyers is too much for one person to carry! It’s also great to have a couple of people on a stall so that we can take breaks and talk to more people.
Who we’re looking for
- You need to be able to do some light lifting and carrying, and be comfortable spending several hours outside (we have some chairs, a gazebo for rainy days!)
- You don’t need to have any special knowledge about women’s history or about East End history, but it would be a plus if you’re familiar with some part of east London.
- You need to be comfortable chatting to people about their memories, about the local area, about any history they find interesting. It’s mostly listening and encouraging people to jot down their ideas. We’ll provide information about the museum and one of us will be there to handle any tricky questions. However, most of the time we find people are very positive about the project and curious to know more.
What we can offer
- Our gratitude, and a bit of East End Women’s Museum merchandise!
- We can pay travel expenses within Greater London to and from the event, and lunch expenses on the day.
- For all-day events we’ll make sure you have a lunch break so you can go and explore the event, and breaks for half day events.
- With luck, an interesting day! It’s often fascinating chatting to people at the stall, and you can hear all about what we’re up to as well.
When we need people
Some of these are to be confirmed and there may be more dates to come, but at the moment we’re looking for people to help out on these days:
- Sunday 11 June
- Tuesday 11 July
- Saturday 15 July
- Saturday 22 July
- Saturday 26 August
- Sunday 17 September
Some of these are all-day events and some are just an afternoon.
How you can get involved
If you think you might be able to help out please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with this information:
- Your name and contact details
- A few words about why you’d like to help out at some of our events this summer
- Brief details of any experience you have doing anything similar
- Which of the dates above you’re likely to be available for.
Then we’ll contact you to arrange a quick chat on the phone.
We’re so grateful for all the wonderful support we’ve received over the last couple of years and how generous people have been with their time. Any help you can offer with these events this summer will be very much appreciated.